Solar panel installations are becoming more and more common in Edmonton. With improving technology and government rebates available, Edmonton solar panels today are more affordable than it ever was before.
So, how much do Edmonton solar panels actually cost?
Solar panels in Edmonton: How much do solar panels cost?
How much do solar panels cost in Edmonton? There are many reasons that affect the cost for solar panels in Edmonton. Today, the average cost to install Edmonton solar panels is anywhere between $8,000 to $16,000 after rebates are applied. This price range is a standard quote for turnkey solar panel installations for homes. Edmonton solar panel installations will always include the administrative fees (Microgen application, permit application), materials, and labour costs for installation.
Solar panels in Edmonton: Factors that affect the cost of solar panels
Edmonton solar panel installation costs will be affected many different factors. Every home is unique. Not every household will have the same energy consumption. When getting quotes from Edmonton solar panel companies, the main factors will include the following: electricity usage, roof layout, electrical panel capacity, and the type of solar equipment used.
- Electricity Usage: A big variance in price is the system size for your Edmonton solar panel installation. Your Edmonton solar panel company will typically ask your for your most recent electricity bill. This will determine how big your Edmonton solar panel system capacity will be. At Zeno, our goal is to offset our customer’s Edmonton solar panel system at 100%. This is so that customers don’t rely on the electricity grid as much for their daily electricity usage which in turn allows them to save more money in the long run.
- Roof Layout & Orientation: Edmonton solar panels are most often installed on top of residential roofs. Therefore, your roof layout can affect the efficiency and size of your Edmonton solar panel system. South facing roofs are best, allowing your Edmonton solar panels to be take advantage of better sun exposure. This is followed by a mix of east and west facing roof layouts. Dead north facing roofs are not ideal for Edmonton solar panels. If this is the case, your Edmonton solar panel company will advise you not to go solar. As a result, your roof layout will play a big factor in determining how many solar panels is ideal to give you the solar energy offset you need.
- Roof Type: The type of roof you have also influence the cost for your Edmonton solar panels. Standard roofs (i.e.: asphalt shingle) are common roof types in Edmonton. These roofs are common and easy to do installations for, therefore, standard rates apply. However, if your roof has a unique material (i.e.: clay tile roofs, metal seams, etc.) then your Edmonton solar install will have added extra precautions and and considerations that would affect the price when getting an Edmonton solar panel install.
Pro Tip: If your roof shingles are approaching the end of its life cycle, be sure to get this replaced before getting an Edmonton solar panel installation! Also, you could opt to get an integrated Edmonton solar panel installation which could help reduce the cost of your roof renovation.
- Shading: Another factor that affects the price of your Edmonton solar panels is shading. When there is little to no shading, your Edmonton sola panels can capitalize on more solar energy production.
- Electrical Panel Capacity: Your electrical panel capacity will also affect the cost of Edmonton solar panels. If your electrical panel is not full, then there is space for solar. However, if your electrical panels are full is full then additional space is required. Your Edmonton solar panel company will advise on upgrading your electrical panel service.
- Solar Panel Equipment: Solar panel equipment can affect the cost of your Edmonton solar panels. Your Edmonton solar panel company will always recommend the most economical solar panel equipment that complies with industry standards.
Solar rebates in Edmonton: Factors that reduce the cost of solar panels
Currently, Edmonton is in a GREAT position when it comes to affordability for solar panels. For one, the Government of Canada is making solar more accessible to homeowners via the Canada Greener Homes Grant which covers $1.00/W on the total system capacity and up to $5,000 off the total solar system cost. Additionally, Edmonton homeowners can enjoy up to $4,000 off from the City of Edmonton on top of the Canada Greener Homes Grant when going solar.
For more information on the solar rebates in Edmonton, click here.
Solar panel financing: other ways to afford solar
Need financial assistance? Don’t worry! There are many options that make Edmonton solar panels affordable!
- RBC, offers Canada-wide solar panel financing programs.
- PACEALberta currently offers the Clean Energy Improvement Program (CEIP)—a pilot renewable energy financing program that pays you back based on an assessment of your property tax bill.
- Zeno is a proud partner of ATB financial. ATB offers our customers quick, easy and secure financing. For more information, contact us today.
What’s involved in a free Edmonton solar panel assessment?
At Zeno, we make the process for going solar in Calgary easy! When you reach out to us for a quote, we typically need the following:
- Your most recent energy bill: This will help us determine the size of your system to help you offset your energy usage by 100%.
- A photo of your electric panel: This is to determine if your new solar panel system can be integrated with your home’s current electrical infrastructure. In some cases, an upgrade is required.
- Your address: With your address, we use Google imaging in combination with our solar software to remotely design a custom system. We take into account factors mentioned above (i.e.: roof space, potential sunlight and shading structures)
Ready to get Edmonton solar panels?
As Edmonton’s top and highest rated solar panel company, we make going solar easy! Reach out to us today for a free quote.